The Phoenix orthopedic surgeons at OrthoArizona – Arizona Orthopaedic Associates not only have extensive experience with the anterior hip replacement, they introduced the procedure to Arizona in 2007.
Today, the Phoenix orthopedic surgeons have performed the operation thousands of times.
So what should you know about the anterior hip replacement? Here are some basic facts, courtesy of OrthoArizona – Arizona Orthopaedic Associates:
- AOA surgeons have completed more than 1,200 anterior hip replacements
- AOA orthopedic surgeon Dr. Michael Wilmink has performed more than 1,000 anterior hip replacement surgeries
- Half of all patients are discharged from hospital the next day
- Full mobility within 2-8 weeks; instead of typical 2-4 months
- Back to full activities at 6 weeks, driving within 2 weeks
- There is less narcotic use – typically only an oral pain medication is administered
- Since no muscle is cut during the replacement procedure, a patient’s recovery time is significantly shorter
- Lower risk of dislocation with anterior hip replacement
- Less blood loss with this approach with little risk of blood vessel damage
- Fewer muscles to rehabilitate after procedure